Sangria, the fresh fruit wine cocktail with its roots firmly planted in Spain, delivers some serious party punch. All it requires is a squeeze of fresh citrus and your favorite budget-friendly wine. The beauty of the basic Sangria recipe is that it is as delicious as it is easy, and only gets better as you spice it up with your own tasty additions! Really, it is hard to add the ‘wrong’ ingredient here; think favorite fruits, spices and liquors. Chill and enjoy!
- 1 750 ml bottle of red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Rioja reds, Zinfandel, Shiraz)
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 1 orange cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 shot brandy
- 2 cups ginger ale or club soda
Total time to prepare and cook : 10 minutes
Servings: 4 – 6
- Pour wine in the pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon and orange into the wine.
- Toss in the fruit wedges (leave out the seeds) and add sugar and brandy.
- Chill overnight.
- Add ginger ale or club soda just before serving. If you’d like to serve right away, use chilled red wine and serve over lots of ice.
Additional ideas: sliced strawberries, diced peaches, a handful of fresh blueberries, raspberries, kiwi slices, a shot or two of gin, brandy or rum, citrus soda or fresh squeezed lime juice.